The Akua ultrasonic cleaner is super versatile with what it can clean. Most objects with hard, non-absorbent materials can be cleaned - like plastics, metals, glass and ceramic.
Here’s a quick list of items you can clean in the ultrasonic cleaner:
Jewelry. Ultrasonic cleaners are fantastic for cleaning rings, bracelets, necklaces and earrings. Gold, silver and platinum jewelry, as well as pieces with gemstones like diamonds, sapphire and ruby can all be cleaned with the ultrasonic cleaner. Note: It’s not advised to clean jewelry with rose gold or organic, porous stones. More on what type of jewelry to avoid cleaning with an ultrasonic cleaner in the next section.
Makeup tools. Makeup tools like eyelash curlers, makeup brushes, beauty blenders, spoolies and tweezers are used often and unfortunately a pain to clean. The Akua cleaner makes this a breeze with just 3 minutes and a small tub of water. Note: When cleaning brushes with natural hairs, avoid adding in detergents or cleaners with alcohol as this could damage the delicate hair. Opt for just water, or baby shampoo for a deeper clean.
Watch components. Watch parts such as straps, buckles and bracelets can be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner. Note: Never use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the watch head, even if it’s waterproof. The ultrasonic energy can potentially damage movement mechanisms and rubber seals.
Eyeglasses and sunglasses. Ultrasonic cleaners do a great job of thoroughly cleaning glasses as long as they’re in good condition and no paint or coating is cracked or damaged.
Face Masks. Clean reusable masks in quick, thorough ultrasonic cycles to keep you healthy and clean.
Small plastic toys. Kids plastic toys like rubber ducks and figurines can get dirty with play and wherever else kids’ use them for. Thoroughly clean off dirt, grime and bacteria without harmful cleansers.
- Drink Bottle Mouthpieces. Mouthpieces for drink bottles and hydration sacks are notoriously hard to clean and can get really moldy. Thoroughly clean off mold and bacteria without harsh chemicals - just water!
Dentures. Dentures and other dental appliances get dirty with tartar, bacteria and stains. Their frequent use and importance for oral hygiene means they need to be cleaned thoroughly and daily.
Airbrush and paint spray guns. Ultrasonic cleaners are great for removing old paint. While this is not desirable for all items, it’s perfect for airbrush and spray gun parts.
Printheads. It can be tricky to unclog printheads by hand. With an ultrasonic cleaner it is effortless.
Tools - Drill bits, taps, milling cutters and other tools with small crevices can be hard to clean. Ultrasonic cleaners, with microscopic energy bubbles can lift these off without hassle.
- Fountain pens
- Firearm components
- Brass music instrument parts
What shouldn't you clean in an ultrasonic cleaner?
As most items can be cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner, it’s easier to list what shouldn’t be cleaned. There are three main categories: items that can be damaged with water, items that are organic and porous, and items that are already chipped, scratched or damaged.
Here’s a quick list of what not to clean in a ultrasonic cleaner:
- Organic, porous jewelry and soft gemstones. Pieces with emeralds, turquoise, opals, lapis lazuli, malachite, tanzanite, corals, amber and pearls can not be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner. Likewise, gems that are coated with oil, plastic or wax should not be cleaned this way.
- Scratched glasses. Glasses with scratched coatings are likely to have their coating damaged further.
- Watch heads. Watch heads, even if advertised as waterproof should never be submerged in the ultrasonic cleaner. The ultrasonic vibrations can damage movement mechanisms and weaken rubber seals.
- Painted items. Ultrasonic cleaners do a great job of removing paint. Unless you’re trying to remove paint, don’t clean it in the ultrasonic cleaner.
It is the user's responsibility to ensure the items that will be cleaned using Akua's ultrasonic cleaner is safe to clean.
Please make sure to carefully review the following warnings:
- Not to be used by person with a pacemaker
- Do not add combustible liquids to the cleaner
- Unplug from power source when not in use
- Do not clean any gemstone with a Moh's hardness rating less than 8